The Children's Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus – Part Time Museum Educator
Hours: 20 hours per week (Tuesday- Friday, 8 am – 1:30 pm, with occasional weekend or evenings)
Basic Function and Summary
The Children’s Museum of Denver mission is to create extraordinary experiences that champion the wonder and joy of childhood. Museum Educators are ambassadors of the Museum’s mission and brand, and will strive to provide guest experiences that are inspiring, curious, welcoming, playful, inventive, and expert in nature.
Museum Educators develop and facilitate enriching, play-based educational programming for school groups. Educators represent the Museum and ensure an outstanding guest experience in programs and on the Museum floor. Educators contribute to the operations and creative work of the Museum and the Education Team through staff meeting participation, special event support, and project leadership. Other duties as assigned.
- Deliver engaging, developmentally-appropriate educational programs. These programs may include (but are not limited to): school group programs at the Museum and at schools, day camps, community outreach programs, special events, and some weekend, holiday and evening programs.
- Driving to and from offsite activities.
- Develop appropriate, play-based curriculum that engage students within a school and camp setting. Manage supplies, resources and budget for school programs.
- Serve as a customer service ambassador on the Museum floor, interacting positively and professionally with all Museum guests. This includes: welcoming and engaging guests, greeting & interacting with school groups and teachers, answering questions, explaining Playscape (exhibit) features, and working collaboratively with other museum staff and volunteers to deliver excellent customer service.
- Respond appropriately and promptly to visitor concerns or complaints. Communicate as needed, and in a timely way, with supervisors, teammates and other departments to ensure issues are resolved.
- Clean and reset exhibits during opening/closing times and throughout the day, as assigned.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Education and in other departments on projects as assigned, promoting a spirit of teamwork and professionalism.
- As assigned, provide support for special events, Museum volunteers and/or Education department interns.
- Engaging, dynamic presentation and teaching skills, including the ability to speak comfortably to diverse families and those that include children of different ages
- Knowledge of experiential education approaches and developmentally-appropriate practice
- Ability to develop memorable, fun educational programs for school programming.
- Ability to handle emergency situations with professionalism and competence
- Minimum of six months experience in early childhood education or child development program; teaching experience preferred.
- Informal education, theater, or performance experience desirable.
- Flexible, energetic, fun, strong work ethic
- Fluent English proficiency, writing and public speaking skills; Spanish speaking, writing and comprehension skills strongly desired
- College degree required; concentration in relevant field preferred
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License and current proof of insurance
- Must successfully pass a motor vehicle inquiry to drive company vehicles
- At least 18 years of age
- Abide by all Museum Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to lift up to 40lbs and stand for extended periods of time (up to 6 hours). Other physical requirements of the position may include but are not limited to walking, bending, stooping, crouching or sitting on the floor, reaching.
- Wear appropriate attire and uniform when on duty.
- Support and supervision of Museum volunteers and/or interns, as assigned
Please send your cover letter and resume to Traci McGrath, School Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 24, 2017. The Museum is a stimulating and team-oriented Non Profit environment. The Museum is committed to diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. Please reference the name of the position you are seeking in your cover letter and email subject.
No phone calls, faxes or drop-ins, please