NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS Our Town Grant Application Guidelines Posted
Deadline: August 9, 2018
The NEA Our Town Grant Application Guidelines are now posted! Matching grants for creative placemaking projects range from $25,000 to $200,000.
Our Town encourages applications for artistically excellent projects that:
- Bring new attention to or elevate key community assets and issues, voices of residents, local history or cultural infrastructure.
- Inject new or additional energy, resources, activity, people or enthusiasm into a place, community issue or local economy.
- Connect communities, people, places, and economic opportunity via physical spaces or new relationships.
Creative placemaking projects deliberately integrate arts and culture into community revitalization work - placing arts at the table with land-use, transportation, economic development, education, housing, infrastructure, and public safety strategies. Creative placemaking supports local efforts to enhance quality of life and opportunity for existing residents, increase creative activity, and create a distinct sense of place. There are two program areas to choose from:
- Place-Based Projects. Through arts engagement, cultural planning, design, and/or artist/creative industry support, these projects contribute to improved quality of life in local communities. These projects require a partnership between a nonprofit organization and a local government entity, with one of the partners being a cultural organization. Matching grants range from $25,000 to $200,000, with a minimum cost share/match equal to the grant amount.
- Knowledge Building Projects. These projects build and disseminate knowledge about how to leverage arts, culture, and design as mechanisms for strengthening communities. These grants are available to arts service or design service organizations, and/or other national or regional membership, policy, or university-based organizations. These projects require a partnership that will facilitate the knowledge sharing and/or exchange. Matching grants range from $25,000 to $100,000, with a minimum cost share/match equal to the grant amount.
Through Our Town projects, the National Endowment for the Arts intends to achieve the following objective: Strengthening Communities by providing opportunities for the arts to be integrated into the fabric of community life.
For More Information
You can review the past grants on the NEA website view by types of projects funded recently through Our Town. The online storybook 'Exploring Our Town' has illustrative examples of Our Town grant projects and insights into doing creative placemaking for practitioners. You also may download the free publication How to Do Creative Placemaking, and look at additional creative placemaking resources on the NEA website.